Saturday, December 5, 2015

"Wait 'till You Get in the Real World"

"Wait 'till You Get in the Real World"


songs for new world.jpgI had been thinking a lot about how adults say to kids "Wait until you get into the real world." I'll get back to that at the end of the post. I saw the production of "Songs For A New World" by our MRHS Drama Club. It inspired me to write this post.
I was sitting next to my Superintendent, Mr. Teeple, when he leaned over and said, “Check out the diversity on that stage.” As I listened to them sing, all I could hear was this incredible harmony. Then it dawned on me. This is a true representation of Monmouth Regional, but more importantly a true representation of the real world. No, sorry, it is a true representation of how the real world should perform. The harmony these students displayed on stage is the same harmony you can see in our hallways, classrooms, cafeteria, athletic fields, and more. Sure, I am thankful that we have three congressional award winners.  As principal, I am thankful that we had several NJ Rising Scholars receive acceptance and scholarships to college. No doubt, I am thankful we had two scholar-athletes receive scholarships this fall. I am also thankful for our teaching staff who continue to explore and expand their pedagogy, but most importantly demonstrate incredible compassion for our students. I would be remiss if I wasn’t thankful for the 11 GSSPA awards won for journalism by our students. I am thankful for our boys and girls soccer teams, who were not expected to make the postseason, but both teams qualified for playoff soccer. In addition, I am thankful our football team, predicted to finish well under .500 finished at 5-5. All you have to do is look around to see how great a place our school truly is.
Now, if you look at the picture of the cast back at the start of this post, all races, religions, and cultures are represented - a  true microcosm of our student body. So, what I am most thankful for as the principal of Monmouth Regional, is that I humbly get to lead a school where our students model for society how we should all interact with each other. So, when I hear adults say, "Wait until you get in the real world," I don't worry about our students getting to the "real world". Why? Because at Monmouth we are the real world and our students are already making an impact! I am truly thankful for all of our diversity at MRHS, for that is what makes us #1FalconNation. Follow us on Twitter @monreghs


With Pride,
Cory Radisch

Principal, MRHS
Twitter:@MRHS_Principal