Thursday, December 31, 2015

Create Resolutions, But Stay Resolute!

Create Resolutions, But Stay Resolute!


As we close out 2015, and head to 2016 you probably are thinking about your resolutions for the new year. However, beyond resolutions, what will you be resolute about? The definition for resolute is: admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering. 

Would you respond yes or no to the following:

In my work, I am admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering in:
  • putting my students needs and interests before my own
  • seeking first to understand before being understood
  • believing in my own potential first, so I can find it in my students
  • embracing that I have the power to change lives
  • creating lessons that spark curiosity, wonder, and imagination
  • making my students feel worthy, when maybe nobody else does
  • investing in the human core more than the common core
  • believing that my purpose as an educator far outweighs my challenges 
Well, what were your answers? Notice in the definition of resolute it doesn't say always. Inevitably, there will be times that your answers to the list above will be no! This incredible profession is filled with peaks and valleys. This is where being resolute as an educator is vital. Being resolute will not allow you to fall prey to the negativity that permeates all buildings and fosters complacency.

Believe me, I'm not naive to think that what educators do on a daily, monthly, or yearly basis is easy. Quite the contrary. It is undoubtedly hard work.  However, I am admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering in believing that it is all worth it! 

So, as the calendar turns to start another year, I hope that you stick to your resolutions. More importantly, I hope that you stay resolute in knowing that as educators we have the power to be difference makers in the lives of our students. There is no curricula, nor strategy, nor technology, that substitutes for an educator's ability to provide hope!

What will you be resolute about in 2016? I would love to hear your comments!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Cory
@MRHS_Principal